Whenever I reach the end of another semester, I can’t believe how quickly it passed and how much I’ve learned! To be honest, I find creating these summary of learning projects incredibly daunting. There are so many concepts from class that I would like to speak to, but only have 5 minutes… AH! Since I have taken a few of these educational technology related courses, I try to do something a little different for every summary to showcase my growth…
Unfortunately, we never did get around to this project. It was March 2020 and the pandemic first hit. We were all navigating how to work from home, teach online, figuring out how to video conference, and trying to stay mentally and physically healthy, while on the hunt for toilet paper (remember that…). Needless to say, it was an unexpected twist at the end of the course. As a class, we decided it was best to shift gears and forego the Summary of Learning. However, I did create a poem that I was going to use for my project. I was planning on using the poem to create some type of multimedia representation, but I did not get that far. For a cheesy laugh, check it out here.
I finally got my chance! Since this course focused on the streams of educational technology, I wanted to experiment with a tool that was new to me. I took WeVideo for a spin and created my project using this program. I was mostly familiar with iMovie, so it was exciting to try something different. I am quicker at navigating iMovie, but WeVideo has more features… With time, I will probably get better with this program. Check out this summary here!
This course focused on open education resources (OERs). As I recall, we discussed information retention and its correlation with writing vs typing. I am a huge fan of writing notes out by hand. I find that I retain information better and it helps me stay engaged. I wanted to showcase this concept in my summary. I also made a conscious effort to use mostly Creative Commons images after learning about copyleft resources. Check it out here!
…And finally, the most recent endeavour! This time around, I teamed up with the best grad date from 2011 and colleague, Dalton! We decided to combine our learning artefacts from the class we shared (EC&I 834) and another class of Dalton’s (EC&I 832). This really came full circle for me because I didn’t complete a summary of learning for my own EC&I 832 class… So here is my redemption shot! We were hoping to combine elements of the poem I wrote previously, but our project ended up heading in another direction! Plus, we were already overwhelmed with content, so we needed to scale it back somewhere. When we decided to film, Dalton had the idea of using a green screen and creating interesting backgrounds. I’ve always wanted to try using a green screen, so I was looking forward to learning something new. We edited using WeVideo and it was pretty seamless once we worked out some technological issues. In addition, we created a “mock LMS” through Google Classroom as one of our backgrounds to reflect our course design project. I have never made an appearance in any of my previous summaries, which was definitely a learning curve. Now I know why movies take so long to film… So. Many. Takes. However, I learned a new skillset through the process of reflecting on this course!
As I wrap up my master’s program this term, it is bittersweet and feels surreal. It truly is the people that make these courses such an enriching learning experience. I feel so incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn alongside some wonderful people. It was also pretty neat to connect with an old friend from high school and collaborate on the final project of my master’s!
Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy! 🙂
Until next time,